Color-bar Image

Lower Back Pain

When should I consult a doctor about general back pain?

If you do not start to recover from your general back pain after 2 weeks, you should book an appointment with your doctor.

If you are finding that your general back pain is causing bowel or bladder problems, is following a fall or injury, or is accompanied by a fever, you should seek immediate medical care.

You should contact your doctor if your general back pain is severe and not improving with rest, spreading down your legs, resulting in weakness or unusual sensations in your legs, or is accompanied by unexpected weight loss.

If you have a history of steroid, drug or alcohol use, or are over the age of 50 and experiencing general back pain for the first time, you should also contact your doctor.