Color-bar Image

Heel Pain

When should I consult a doctor about heel pain?

If you think you might have plantar fasciitis, you should contact your doctor. The sooner a doctor diagnoses and treats your problem, the earlier you will have pain relief.

You should also contact your doctor if:

  • Your heel pain is accompanied by a fever, with redness or warmth in your heel, or with numbness or tingling in your heel.
  • You’re experiencing severe pain and swelling, especially if following an injury, or reduced mobility of your foot.
  • Your pain continues when you are not standing or bearing any weight on your heel.
  • You have a heel injury that results in pain when you put weight on your heel.
  • Your heel pain lasts more than a week, even after you have tried rest, ice, over-the-counter pain medicine, or other home treatment.