Foot Odour & Wetness
If you suffer from smelly and sweaty feet, you're not alone since this foot condition affects millions of Canadians. People with hyperhidrosis sweat excessively, and some sweat almost constantly. There is more sweat glands in the palms of your hands and the soles of your feet than in any other part of your body. Emotion and stress increase sweating. This problem is common and can be very embarrassing. Due to the breakdown of sweat by bacteria and yeasts that normally live on the skin, it may emit an unpleasant odor. Sweaty hands and feet are usually not caused by a disease. However, sweaty feet can lead to athlete’s foot, nail problems and warts. It can also cause rashes and eczema.
Treatment and Prevention
The treatment depends on how much the sweating interferes with your life and on how much you sweat. You also have to consider how well a treatment works for you. Here is some tips.
- Thoroughly washing your skin with a wet washcloth and soap can help prevent body odor.
- Drying your feet thoroughly after bathing or showering.
- Changing socks every day and letting shoes dry out between wearings can help eliminate bad odor. Wearing thick, soft cotton socks helps keep feet dry. Wearing nylon socks in plastic shoes or tightly fitting shoes may not allow the feet to dry properly and can aggravate the problem.
- Letting feet dry out as often as possible.
- Applying an aluminum chloride solution to the soles of your feet.
- Tap-water iontophoresis is a mild electrical current that is passed through water and applied to the skin. This treatment is indicated in severe cases and should be under the recommendation and/or supervision of a doctor.
- Injecting Botox can also be used in cases of severe sweating and should be under the recommendation and/or supervision of a doctor.
- Surgery can be done to cut the nerves that cause the sweating in cases where all other treatments failed.
- Remember that smelly feet can also cause bad odor to your shoes. Spraying your shoes with a deodorizer can help.
When to consult a doctor
When excessive sweating interferes with your daily activities.
Products that could interest you
- Dr. Scholl’s® Odour Destroyers® All day Deodorant Powder
- Dr. Scholl’s® Odour Destroyers® Shoe Shot® Deodorant Powder
- Dr. Scholl’s® Odour Destroyers® Medicated Foot Powder
- Dr. Scholl’s® Odour Destroyers® All Day Deodorant Spray
- Dr. Scholl’s® Odour Destroyers® Sneaker Treater® Spray
- Dr. Scholl’s® Foot Deodorant Non Aerosol
- Dr. Scholl’s® Odour Destroyers® Super Comfort Insoles
- Dr. Scholl’s® Odour Destroyers® Super Sport Insoles
- Dr. Scholl’s® Odour Destroyers® Charcoal Activated with Arch Support Insoles